[gopher] Gophernicus Server 0.6 released

Kim Holviala kim at holviala.com
Mon Apr 12 06:57:35 UTC 2010

On 12.4.2010 9:23, Mike Hebel wrote:

>> If it works on AIX it works on *ANYTHING*. Seriously, you can't find a
>> more fucked up Unix than AIX.
>
> No argument here. I have quite a few friends who have some experience
> with AIX.

I teach AIX... Of course, those who can, do, those who can't, teach. And
those who can't teach, consult.

I consult AIX stuff too. :-)

Anyway, the first thing I say in my AIX courses is that AIX is a
wonderful operating system (which is true), but forget *everything* you
thought you knew about Unix because if you start doing things the
Unix/POSIX way on AIX you'll break it. I think that AIX is the only Unix
with a binary registry for all configurations - that drives Unixy people
off the wall...

> I wonder if it'll build on NetBSD Cobalt...

Worked fine on Linux running on D-Link's DNS-323 running Debian. I don't
have my Raq 2 anymore - it was just too slow and had too little memory
so I sold it.

>> * Full UTF-8 support with optional downconversion to US-ASCII
>
> I lose geek points for not knowing what this means. ;-)

I have a bunch of comic book covers scanned (so I won't buy double
copies - I've got a lousy memory). I wanted to serve those out with
Gopher, but the names are full of UTF-8 chars like ÄÖÅÖÄÅÖ. I don't
think I found any Gopher server which would have worked with those...

>> * Full IPv6 support
>
> It's interesting to see that a server for one of the older protocols is
> being developed to work with one of the newer ones still not fully
> implemented everywhere.

I've got native IPv6 everywhere, even this company's got it's own /56
which I route to all workstations and servers here. I was just
downloading *cough* something with bittorrent yesterday and noticed that
about 20-30% of peers were on IPv6 which was surprising (Finnish stuff
so 100% Finnish peers). Of course, I was the only one with *native* IPv6
- others were just using 6to4.

>> * Full CGI support
>
> That in and of itself is just plain useful. But I thought Gopher
> supported CGI out of the box so to speak or am I taking too much allergy
> medicine?

Well, Gopher doesn't support CGI, but it's fairly easy to just implement
the HTTP CGI spec on top of Gopher.

- Kim