[gopher] Gopher++ scrapped & Internet Archive -style thingy

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Tue Apr 20 15:40:06 UTC 2010

On Apr 20, 2010, at 8:49 AM 4/20/10, Kim Holviala wrote:

>> Is there something
>> with gopher++ that makes your search non-backwards-compatible with
>> "legacy" gopher servers?
>
> Let's forget the search for a while. This is the problem:
>
> * I can add extensions to server side all I want and it won't break
> anything - I'm free to experiment with whatever I want

*shrug* So add what you want.

> * I cannot add anything to the client side of the protocol or old
> but still running servers will break - my gopher++ enchanced Mosaic
> for example refused to browse quite a number of existing sites

Wait...what?  You can't tell your client to only activate Gopher++
when it sees your server?  Isn't there _any_ sort of identification
method in the server protocol that gives you the server software name?

> Why would I add anything to server-side when I can't add anything
> client-side? I could add a little detection routine to the client,
> but that would make clients complicated and I don't want that
> (gopher has and should have all the brains on the server side).

Well how about this - make the Gopher++ identification file based.  If
the client detects gophernicus.txt then enable Gopher++ for that
session otherwise don't.

--
Mike

"All we wanna do is eat your brains! We're not unreasonable, I mean no
one's gonna eat your eyes." - Re: Brains, Jonathan Coultan