[gopher] The Gopher Archive

Kim Holviala kim at holviala.com
Fri Apr 23 03:35:31 UTC 2010

On 2010-04-22 23:07, Brian Koontz wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 10:09:09PM +0300, Kim Holviala wrote:
>> I'm archiving Teh Gopher. All of it - well all textual searchable
>> information, not binaries nor images...
>
> The next logical step would be to set up a mechanism to mirror the
> archive, because we all know what happens when one large repository
> suddenly goes down for what will likely be forever (hal3000.cx,
> anyone)?

I actually emailed the admin of hal3000 yesterday asking for a change to
mirror the site...

What if I open up rsync for the data repository? It's all flat files,
LOTS of them and it's quite easy to parse even without my code...

... which will be released under the BSD license.

> BTW, seeing as V-2 source code isn't available, I'm working on some
> modifications to jugtail to index site content (currently, it only indexes
> selectors).  I'd be open to alternatives if you know of something
> that's already available.  (I'm hosting an archive of a 2nd Amendment
> mailing list, and it's rather useless without the ability to search
> message content.)

Well, my search engine is only half done, but it indexes menus,
infolines and text/html. Maybe a month and it's done.

- Kim