[gopher] Can someone explain the status of Firefox support for gopher?

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Sun Apr 25 16:43:06 UTC 2010

> OK, I'm confused.  Can someone explain, in a few words, what is going
> on with Firefox support for gopher?  Last I heard, it was going away.
> Now there is talk of a JS implementation.  As of 3.5.7, gopher still
> seems to work.  But at some point, it won't?  Or it still will?
> Wasn't there someone at some point emphatically calling for gopher's
> immediate removal from the FF code base?  What happened to him?
>
> Now there's mention of gopher in fennec.  Does that mean that gopher
> will only be available on mobile devices?  And that it will no longer
> be available to non-mobile devices?

As I understand it, since I'm still actively following 388195, there may
be a period of time where Gopher disappears temporarily pending transition
to the new Electrolysis architecture. Fennec is the most likely to have
this happen, since it is on a faster track. However, based on my private
E-mail discussions, it seems likely that it will be restored in a different
form. See my and Jason Duell's discussions in the Bugzilla thread.

That said, Firefox 3.6.3 still has Gopher support in it.

-- When relatives are outlawed, only outlaws will have inlaws. ----------------