[gopher] Gopher Archive Torrent Now Available (incl. hal3000.cx)

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Wed Apr 28 03:20:21 UTC 2010

On Apr 27, 2010, at 8:20 PM 4/27/10, John Goerzen wrote:

> It's live!  Download your .torrent here:
>
> http://www.complete.org/~jgoerzen/Full%20Gopher%20Archive%20from%202007.torrent
>
> Or, for a short URL:
>
> http://bit.ly/cyY0Sv
>
> Please start downloading ASAP; I won't be able to seed forever.
>
> I don't know how to get these things indexed on the search engines,
> so if any of you would like to add it to them, that would be great.
>
> I am presently seeding off my home DSL, which is capped at about
> 20-40KB/s upstream, alas.  Tomorrow I will bring some better
> bandwidth to bear on it as well.

I am downloading as fast as I can!!  ;-)   Seriously though I have a
1.5M down/768k up so I should finish sometime tomorrow hopefully.  And
since I have a business Speakeasy connection it should seed as well.
Not the fastest but definitely stable.

> This torrent includes the tar.bz2 file that was on the 4-DVD set.
> Also on that set was a rare video interview with two Gopher
> founders, Mark McCahill and Farhad Anklesaria.  That video is also
> included in the torrent.  Finally, the source code to the gopher
> spidering bot I used, a dump of the PostgreSQL table behind the
> spider, and a dump of the file list of the tar file is included.
> All told, this is a 15GB download, and all but about 500M of that is
> the main tar.bz2.
>
> The tar.bz2 itself contains 780238 files or directories and unpacks
> to roughly 40GB of data.  It was made in June 2007.  If you just
> want to see what's in the archive, you can start by downloading only
> tar-filelist.bz2 from inside this torrent.  README.TXT also contains
> an index to the contents.
>
> Of note to recent discussions:
>
> 1503 files/directories exist from hal3000.cx
>
> Finally, it should be noted that this thing saved directories
> in .gophermap format, and as such this archive should be able to be
> served directly by both Pygopherd and Bucktooth.

I'm definitely looking forward to digging through all this.  Is there
any policy on putting any of it up on my server with a disclaimer or
something?  (I could easily dedicate a Cobalt box to the task of
running gophernicus/pygopherd/etc. to serve this stuff up.)

--
Mike

"All we wanna do is eat your brains! We're not unreasonable, I mean no
one's gonna eat your eyes." - Re: Brains, Jonathan Coultan