[gopher] Gopher and amateur radio

Brian Koontz brian at pongonova.net
Tue Aug 3 23:52:33 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 08:37:28PM -0400, John Goerzen wrote:
> Very interesting.  I'm just getting into amateur radio myself, and
> experimenting with digital modes is very much on my list of things
> try.  Are people running TCP over AX.25?  And where can I read about
> KISS packet radio?

John, packet radio isn't exactly dead, but it's not nearly as popular
as it once was.  APRS is probably the most widespread implementation
of packet radio right now.  TAPR (http://www.tapr.org) is still
kicking about in the packet arena. The movement now is towards
high-speed mesh networks (a Google search for HSMM will turn up loads
of hits).  Also, there is a lot of activity in HF digital modes, esp.
since all that's required now is a sound card, appropriate interface,
and an HF rig.  Because of the limited bandwidth and lower S/N ratios
on HF, throughput is rather limited to 300 baud or less (which makes
gopher even more ideal in these situations).

I've just gotten back into amateur radio myself after a 15-year break,
and am most interested in digital modes and have been thinking of ways
to integrate gopher into the mix as well.

  --Brian

--
Don't have gopher?  Visit the world's first wiki-based gopher proxy!
http://www.pongonova.org/gopherwiki