[gopher] helsinki -> uppsala (gopher.floodgap.com)

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Sat Dec 18 05:45:00 UTC 2010

> Nice historical tidbit. I do remember when Apple made its first attempt at a
> UNIX OS called A/UX. It was an interesting idea, but it suffered from poor
> sales and flaky hardware compatibility issues. I even recall that only the
> Apple CD-300 was the only drive you could use to install the OS to a
> Macintosh.

My IIci in the bedroom "triple boots" System 7, MacMiNT and A/UX 3. It's
rather nice, considering, but it was somewhat more arcane compared to the
other contemporary and more straightforward Unices, and making the most
of it was difficult. It's sort of interesting to contrast it against OS X,
naturally, because even though the concept is similar in theory the
implementations are rather different. A/UX was more like "Classic" was the
entire interface running within Unix.

MacMiNT is more of a toy than anything else. But I get a lot of wear out
of MachTen, which is sort of OS X turned inside out: instead of OS 9
running as a task in Mach, it's Mach running as a task in OS 9. It's my
favourite way to run Unix on a classic Mac, and certainly the weirdest.

-- How do you explain school to a higher intelligence? -- Elliott in "E.T." ---