[gopher] gopher++ (gopher1) protocol

Dennis Schulmeister dennis at windows3.de
Mon Jan 11 08:52:18 UTC 2010

Hi Kim,
Kim Holviala wrote:
> On 2010-01-11 00:46, Kim Holviala wrote:
>
>> I think I promised to write down my thoughts about the gopher++
>> extensions to the original gopher0 protocol.
>
> There were some pretty big mistakes in the document... I'll try to find
> some time today to fix some of the most glaring bugs :-).

Interesting thoughts. Two (Ok, three) things I noticed while reading:

There needs to be a way the server can detect that the client doesn't
want to send more data. Usually there's a blank line after the header
fields indicating this.

Visually impaired people usually use screen readers which read text out.
So there's no need for the server to handle this, too. :)

I think there should be a special request sent by the client in order to
probe the server for its capabilities. You're requesting quite a lot on
the server side and a specific implementation might not be able to do it
all. e.g. I got my gopher server running on a small host with only few
available resources (by today's standards). It would take several
minutes to transcode a bigger pdf document into png images.

Yours sincerely,
Dennis Schulmeister

--
Dennis Schulmeister - Schifferstr. 1 - 76189 Karlsruhe - Germany
Tel: +49 721/5978883 - Fax: +49 721/5978882 -  Mob: +49 152/01994400

Now moved to the corridor: Hermes! (http://ncc-1701a.homelinux.net)
Besides that: http://www.denchris.de - http://www.motagator.net/bands/65

<GnuPG KeyIDs: B8382C97, 01AD62DE>