[gopher] gopher++ (gopher1) protocol

Mateusz Viste mateusz at viste-family.net
Mon Jan 11 12:29:06 UTC 2010

On Monday 11 January 2010 13:09, Kim Holviala wrote:
> Seems pretty good to me.... If we take 1 server and 100 clients, I know
> where I would prefer my file format support to be - in the same place
> where the actual files are.

You can't do any automated transcoding just like that. It's not that easy.
The big problem about your whole transcoding stuff is that a transcoded
document is not the same document anymore. Say, that I create a PDF
document where most information is vector graphic. If the client ask for
us-ascii text, an automated transcoding program will simply drop all
things which are not bare text, and my PDF will look like crap.

That's why in my opinion, applying *any* automated transcoding is wrong.
If I want my document to be readable by C64 owners, I will write it in a
way that will allow that.

Best regards,
Mateusz Viste