[gopher] gopher++ (gopher1) protocol

Kim Holviala kim at holviala.com
Mon Jan 11 18:14:11 UTC 2010

On 2010-01-11 18:18, Christoph Lohmann wrote:

>> The server SHOULD be able to convert all audio resources to either WAV,
>> MP3 or OGG Vorbis. A client SHOULD not ask for any other format.
>
> Gopher and the lossy audio codecs?
> Such restrictions in the protocol are not future-proof.

Nevermind any of the sound/video things... I got a bit carried away -
none of that should have been in the document.

> My problems with Gopher are, that there is no way to get just
> a chunk of a file and there is no way to determine out of the
> selector string, if the request will return me a menu or a
> file.

My extensions won't help you there. I was trying to achieve more
features with 100% gopher0 compatibility, and even if what you're asking
is important (and it is) I just couldn't figure out a way to do it.

- Kim