[gopher] gopher++ (gopher1) protocol

Kim Holviala kim at holviala.com
Mon Jan 11 19:06:18 UTC 2010

On 2010-01-11 19:56, Cameron Kaiser wrote:

>>> I support putting much of the work on the server, because I think Gopher's
>>> biggest benefit is a VIC-20 could be made to be a gopher client.
>>
>> Let's not forget that the same machine can be a gopher server!
>
> Quite, which is why I want servers to be able to refuse to transcode. But I
> think allowing it *facultatively* is overall beneficial.

Well, if we stick on plain text (which is what you'd have to do with a
VIC anyway) always serving out US-ASCII works. Even if the client
requests UTF-8 sending out US-ASCII is a valid thing to do (since
US-ASCII is just a binary-compatible subset of UTF-8).

PETSCII however is a completely different thing :-).

- Kim