[gopher] gopher++ (gopher1) protocol

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Mon Jan 11 21:55:50 UTC 2010

> Why don't you rather extend gopher+ protocol? It already provides some
> of the features, that you would like, and the rest of them are much
> easier to implement in a way, that is "standard compliant". Gopher+
> clients (e.g. UMN Gopher client) run on all the platforms your new
> client would run on, so it would be a matter of updating them, to make
> them work with your extensions. And there are some new gopher+ clients
> out there (I wrote this one:
> http://sites.google.com/site/matjaz85/gopherclient), Cameron also
> mentioned he is planing gopher+ support in his Overbite ... Perhaps
> gopher+ is the way to go if you want more than plain gopher0.

About that -- that idea is based on Gopher+ taking off. But I have no
particular marriage to it, and I'm a rather reluctant fan of Gopher+ since
it tends to trump other extensions due to its pedigree and already
existing pre-support. If someone came up with something better, I have no
problem putting Gopher+ in the dustbin.

-- To generalize is to be an idiot. -- William Blake --------------------------