[gopher] GopherVR 0.4

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Tue Jan 12 23:31:37 UTC 2010

> > If you mean i itemtype, that would just be a big mess with modern menus.
> > However, I am planning a sort of HUD or at least tooltip display to get
> > more information on objects in the scene. If you have any ideas about that,
> > lay them on me.
>
> Yes, the i item type would be messy at best.  It's just too bad that all
> that information gets lost.  Beyond figuring out a way to link specific
> text to a selector, I don't have any particular ideas.

That I actually discourage for two reasons:

- There are tons of clients that ignore i itemtype. Less than there were,
  but a lot are still out there.

- i itemtype was intended as augmented information, not as a primary
  source.

IOW, IMHO, AFAIC, a menu should be totally intelligible by its non-i items.
Even if the i entries were gone, the individual display strings of the
other items should still tell you what they are. For that reason, I don't
support linking such text to such items, and Gopher+ would cover that under
abstracts anyway (which GopherVR does in fact support, being based on the
UMN gopher library). I do support displaying it, which is why I added it to
the menu window, but I don't think it serves a purpose in the scene.

-- How are you gentlemen? All your base are belong to us! ---------------------