[gopher] End of support for gopher in the Grumpy web server

Mateusz Viste mateusz at viste-family.net
Thu Jul 8 17:12:23 UTC 2010

Hi there!

I would like to announce that I decided to take out support for gopher from my Grumpy web & gopher server (so it will become simply the "Grumpy web server").

And no, this is *not* a bad news :)

In fact, I decided to do so, because keeping web and gopher implementations in one server wasn't finally such a good idea like it seemed to me at the begin. I prefer to separate these two protocols, as developing such a two-headed beast gets messy at some points. Grumpy will stay a web server (and loose gopher support in its next version), and I moved all my gopher code into a new project...

* Mótsognir gopher server *
Mótsognir is the continuation of the gopher server which was implemented in Grumpy, with some new features and bug fixes. Here is a quick (incomplete) changelog for Mótsognir v0.99:
 - Added support for UTF-8 filenames,
 - Implemented percent-encoding compliancy for URLs passed to the server,
 - Added support for very big files, up to 8EiB (was: max 2GiB),
 - Fixed a minor file-locking bug (gophermap handles weren't released properly),
 - Fixed directory entries sorting (gopherlinks weren't sorted correctly in the list),
 - Implemented a HTTP requests detector (responds to any HTTP request by a HTTP error code).

All persons which are running Grumpy as a gopher server (if any - I am not sure that anybody uses it, as I never got any feedback...) are highly encouraged to upgrade their servers to Mótsognir.

The official site of Mótsognir is gopher://gopher.viste-family.net/1/projects/motsognir/

Best regards,
Mateusz Viste
--
You'll find my public OpenPGP key at http://www.viste-family.net/mateusz/pub_key