[gopher] OverbiteFF 2.0-1497 available for testing

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Thu Jul 8 21:12:03 UTC 2010

I think I have this at a reasonable state for testing by the group.

	gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/9/overbite-2.0.1497.xpi

This is obviously OverbiteFF 2.0 (1497). It has the following features and
fixes:

- New inline view capability for [07ghI]. Click the plus icon to the left of
  eligible item types and a drop down will appear, either with the text/HTML
  file in a frame, or the image (which will resize to the screen). If it is
  a search server, a form will appear and immediately gain focus that you can
  type and press RETURN in. (I'll need localization strings for this prompt -
  hover the + and you'll see what I need.)

  You can still click on the icons and menu titles to navigate just as before;
  the inline view is just a convenience.

- New baseline skin which should be more attractive. Note that the change in
  skin layout means that many custom skins will not work correctly (they are
  missing the new CSS classes).

- Rewritten for Gecko 1.9 and 2.0 compatibility. Should be a bit faster.

- Fixed glitch with NoScript. Note that NoScript disables inline view because
  the inline scripts run with content privileges, not chrome (on purpose). You
  can get around this by whitelisting the gopher: protocol, or whitelist
  gopher:// and then enable specific hosts. Or, if you don't want that, you
  can still navigate the old way without inline view.

- Fixed glitch with version announcement popup.

Tested with Firefox 3.5 (Mac), 3.6 (Mac + Win) and 4.0 beta 1 (Mac); should
still work with 3.0.19 though I have no means to test it anymore. Your own
impressions solicited. I hope to have this up for review by the addons site
by the weekend. This is obviously very important as this is the only means
for Gopher in Firefox 4.

Firefox 2 support is still available with 1.1.1424 but this version will no
longer be maintained unless there is a critical issue.

-- When you're in it up to your ears, keep your mouth shut. -------------------