[gopher] more Overbite stuff

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Wed Jul 21 22:59:53 UTC 2010

I'm monopolizing the list lately, but some stuff for public comment.

1) Now that SeaMonkey 2.1a1 supports using install.rdf rather than install.js,
this makes converting OverbiteFF to OverbiteSM (?! -- better names solicited)
much more straightforward. This is especially important as SeaMonkey 2.1,
being based on Gecko 2.0, also lacks Gopher. Is there interest in this?

2) I'm considering adding a navigational aid to Overbite such that people
can browse partial paths more intelligently. The reflex with something like

	gopher://foo/0/directory/file

is to take file off, yielding

	gopher://foo/0/directory/

which doesn't work, of course -- it gets rendered as a text file. So I'm
suggesting a simple aid. If the path ends in /, and the itype is not 1
or 7, pop a redirect to change the item type to 1 for the user automatically
(this is done within the channel; it doesn't hit the server). I could have
it pop up a dialogue box to suggest the change rather than just doing it if
people like that idea better; it could be rolled into the code for
newProxiedChannel with the other checks.

This won't cover everything, but it should cover many things. I don't
really want to go hunting for tabs, because tab characters could be in
legitimate documents (unless someone can propose a semi-reliable algorithm).

Content sniffing is not possible the way the docshell is designed because
the simulated MIME type is already computed from the itype; as soon as the
load starts, it's too late. So this has to be handled at the channel level.