[gopher] Torrent update

Florian Teply usenet at teply.info
Sun May 2 09:16:55 UTC 2010

On Saturday 01 May 2010 23:33:32 Nuno J. Silva wrote:
> Florian Teply <usenet at teply.info> writes:

> >> Is anyone planning to make the files in the torrent available through
> >> http, ftp or gopher?
> >
> > Hmm, what way of making the files available do you mean? serving the
> > .tar.bz2 files and stuff just as it is in the torrent, or the unpacked
> > data?
>
> Serving the .tar.bz2. As this computer is not configured for bittorrent
> yet (firewalling, (drop) priviledges, etc), I was looking for another
> way to get the files, until I have time to configure this for bt.

Ah, okay. Have both of it up anyways somehow.
> [...]
>
> > going to be. But as i recall from some previous post, some guys would be
> > willing to host the stuff. That also includes me.
> >
> > Currently i'm unpacking the stuff, the archives can be found at:
> > gopher://lime.dnsalias.net/1/archives
> > gopher://nerd.endoftheinternet.org/1/archives
> > and also via IPv6:
> > gopher://gopher.home.ipv6.teply.info/1/archives
>
> Thanks! I'll visit those soon.
>
> (If I download gigabytes from your server is it okay to rely on TCP for
> bandwidth control, or do you want me to do it slower? (And I wonder how
> would that be done - snarf has no documented option for that.))

I don't mind. It probably won't go beyond say 70KB/s though, and with a
disconnect every 24 hours. So downloading the large tar.bz2 will probably be a
royal PITA as it won't finish before my DSL provider disconnects. Right now
i'm moving at least the smaller quux.org mirror to a server with better
connection but due to size constraints i can't put up the large one there.

Anyone knows of some download manager for gopher?
I'm cleaning up the archive right now as there are plenty of empty
directories, maybe i can tar it up again into smaller parts...

> About mpm_gopher.mov, I got a 154 MiB copy of it from a FTP server,
> which seems to be shorter than announced by the QuickTime container. A
> bad copy, I presume?

Very probably. The copy i have here is 404 MiB. Feel free to grab it...

HTH,
Florian