[gopher] Homes for the Gopher archive

Kim Holviala kim at holviala.com
Wed May 19 05:49:51 UTC 2010

On 2010-05-18 23:01, Florian Teply wrote:

> I myself started (and am still somewhere midway i guess) to clean out the
> archive. As i went through the archive, i've noticed quite some empty files,
> most notably .gophermap an robots.txt which had the size of zero Bytes.

I noticed the very same thing, so the first thing I did was:

# find archive/ -type f -size 0 -exec rm -v "{}" \;

Followed by:

# find archive/ -type d -exec rm -v "{}" \;

In case you're wondering, the second removes emtpy directories only :-).

> the way i also stumbled across some other files that are in my opinion bogus:
> http GET requests that returned a 404 error.

There are also loads of gophermaps which only contain "3Error of some kind".

> gopher i removed all of those. Next thing i'll try to do is restoring the
> gophermap files where available to point to the mirror instead of the original
> server. Could use some help there though. Any hints on that one, Kim maybe?

I was lazy... So I'm doing it one site at the time - one server hosts
one archived site using Gophernicus with some extra command line
switches, and a second site spiders the "live site" using the hosts-file
to fix the IP address....

So no, I have no real answer to that yet. I do have the full archive
(temporarily) here but without the original gophermaps.

gopher://gophernicus.org/1/archive_2007/gopher-arch/gopher/

- Kim