[gopher] Homes for the Gopher archive

Florian Teply usenet at teply.info
Thu May 20 21:25:50 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 19 May 2010 07:49:51 Kim Holviala wrote:
> On 2010-05-18 23:01, Florian Teply wrote:
> > I myself started (and am still somewhere midway i guess) to clean out the
> > archive. As i went through the archive, i've noticed quite some empty
> > files, most notably .gophermap an robots.txt which had the size of zero
> > Bytes.
>
> I noticed the very same thing, so the first thing I did was:
>
> # find archive/ -type f -size 0 -exec rm -v "{}" \;
>
> Followed by:
>
> # find archive/ -type d -exec rm -v "{}" \;
>
> In case you're wondering, the second removes emtpy directories only :-).

I basically did the same thing just a little more complicated as i used the
output of find in a for loop. Had to do it several times though, as an
otherwise empty directory which has an empty directory in it doesn't count as
empty.

> > the way i also stumbled across some other files that are in my opinion
> > bogus: http GET requests that returned a 404 error.
>
> There are also loads of gophermaps which only contain "3Error of some
>  kind".

Yeah, saw those too.

> > gopher i removed all of those. Next thing i'll try to do is restoring the
> > gophermap files where available to point to the mirror instead of the
> > original server. Could use some help there though. Any hints on that one,
> > Kim maybe?
>
> I was lazy... So I'm doing it one site at the time - one server hosts
> one archived site using Gophernicus with some extra command line
> switches, and a second site spiders the "live site" using the hosts-file
> to fix the IP address....

Maybe we should coordinate that a little, as i see no point in two guys doing
the same grunt work twice in total...

Florian