[gopher] Dynamically linked Mosaic on Linux??

Florian E. Teply usenet at teply.info
Sun Nov 7 21:14:47 UTC 2010

Hi gopher guys,

being fed up with the GUI browsers sucking up all RAM and CPU on my
laptop, i tried to dig up some old friends from back then [TM].
I found two attempts on bringing NCSA Mosaic into the third millenium,
one by Cameron and one other. The second one seemed to be untouched
since 2002 while Cameron seems to work on it nowadays. Apparently, the
porting to more recent OSes has been done while maintaining the
original semi-static build, which i ran into problems with.

First, i wouldn't want to make a static build for my laptop as RAM is
already scarce in modern terms (only 512 Meg). Second, it doesn't work
out-of-the-box either (static linking that is) due to some library
issues. Well, those are probably caused by my setup, but i'm not deep
enough into that to tell.
Now i tried to compile the stuff dynamically, which turns up some other
(maybe related) problems. The missing png_info_init() i could sorta
solve myself, the called function is deprecated since libpng-0.95
(somehwere around 1997) but supposedly one could use
png_create_info_struct() which i did. After that, changing the library
settings in the Makefile to -lpng and -ljpeg seems to make a compile
possible, unfortunately the freshly crompiled Mosaic crahses before
even drawing a window :-(

Any hints on that?

Regards,
Florian