[gopher] Dynamically linked Mosaic on Linux??

Florian E. Teply usenet at teply.info
Mon Nov 8 18:13:36 UTC 2010

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 01:06:25 -0800 (PST)
Cameron Kaiser <spectre at floodgap.com> wrote:

> > being fed up with the GUI browsers sucking up all RAM and CPU on my
> > laptop, i tried to dig up some old friends from back then [TM].
> > I found two attempts on bringing NCSA Mosaic into the third
> > millenium, one by Cameron and one other. The second one seemed to
> > be untouched since 2002 while Cameron seems to work on it nowadays.
> > Apparently, the porting to more recent OSes has been done while
> > maintaining the original semi-static build, which i ran into
> > problems with.
> >
> > First, i wouldn't want to make a static build for my laptop as RAM
> > is already scarce in modern terms (only 512 Meg). Second, it
> > doesn't work out-of-the-box either (static linking that is) due to
> > some library issues. Well, those are probably caused by my setup,
> > but i'm not deep enough into that to tell.
> > Now i tried to compile the stuff dynamically, which turns up some
> > other (maybe related) problems. The missing png_info_init() i could
> > sorta solve myself, the called function is deprecated since
> > libpng-0.95 (somehwere around 1997) but supposedly one could use
> > png_create_info_struct() which i did. After that, changing the
> > library settings in the Makefile to -lpng and -ljpeg seems to make
> > a compile possible, unfortunately the freshly crompiled Mosaic
> > crahses before even drawing a window :-(
>
> If you run it in gdb, what does the backtrace look like?

There we go:
(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/floh/ebuilds/mosaic-ck/src/Mosaic

0x10078ae4 in set_pref_solid (pref_id=121, incoming=0x0, iincoming=0, bincoming=0 '\000') at prefs.c:1678
1678	                *((Boolean *)incoming);
(gdb) backtrace
#0  0x10078ae4 in set_pref_solid (pref_id=121, incoming=0x0, iincoming=0, bincoming=0 '\000') at prefs.c:1678
#1  0x10077718 in set_pref_boolean (pref_id=121, value=0 '\000') at prefs.c:1168
#2  0x1001299c in mo_do_gui (argc=1, argv=0xbfffef14) at gui.c:4437
#3  0x10006b40 in main (argc=1, argv=0xbfffef14, envp=0xbfffef1c) at main.c:251
(gdb)

So if I understand this correctly, Mosaic segfaults due to dereferenciong a NULL pointer while trying to get the color depth of the screen. Weird.

Regards,
Florian