[gopher] Dynamically linked Mosaic on Linux??

Florian E. Teply usenet at teply.info
Wed Nov 10 19:13:27 UTC 2010

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 08:00:45 -0800 (PST)
Cameron Kaiser <spectre at floodgap.com> wrote:

> Sat down with this.
>
> > (gdb) run
> > Starting program: /home/floh/ebuilds/mosaic-ck/src/Mosaic
> >
> > Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> > 0x10078ae4 in set_pref_solid (pref_id=121, incoming=0x0,
> > iincoming=0, bincoming=0 '\000') at prefs.c:1678
> > 1678	                *((Boolean *)incoming); (gdb) backtrace
> > #0  0x10078ae4 in set_pref_solid (pref_id=121, incoming=0x0,
> > iincoming=0, bincoming=0 '\000') at prefs.c:1678 #1  0x10077718 in
> > set_pref_boolean (pref_id=121, value=0 '\000') at prefs.c:1168 #2
> > 0x1001299c in mo_do_gui (argc=1, argv=0xbfffef14) at gui.c:4437 #3
> > 0x10006b40 in main (argc=1, argv=0xbfffef14, envp=0xbfffef1c) at
> > main.c:251 (gdb)
> >
> > So if I understand this correctly, Mosaic segfaults due to
> > dereferenciong a NULL pointer while trying to get the color depth
> > of the screen. Weird.
>
> No, this crash is in prefs. It seems not to like an existing?
> preferences file. Do you have one already? What happens if you delete
> it?

Well, until two minutes ago i beleived there was no prefs file as i
never produced one. On the other hand, i just found one in ~/.mosaic .
Had a look at it, it referenced Mosaic-CK. Deleted it, and tried again,
same result. The file reappeared, so apparently Mosaic creates it when
started first time.
I don`t know, but could this be caused different endianness?? PPC is
big-endian IIRC while most of the rest is little-endian.

Regards,
Florian