[gopher] A free (as in gratis) offer to the gopher community

Cato Auestad bleakgadfly at fsfe.org
Sun Nov 28 13:51:39 UTC 2010

On Friday 26 November 2010 00:03:02 Brian Koontz wrote:
> Short version:
>
> I am a long-time participant in the OpenNIC project (an open, free,
> and democratic alternative to ICANN), as well as a long-time member
> of the gopher community.  I have set up a .gopher top-level domain
> (TLD) in the OpenNIC root for the purpose of providing gopher sites
> with unique domains accessible to anyone who can resolve OpenNIC
> domains. This is a free (as in gratis) offer; I expect nothing in
> return. OpenNIC is one of several F/OSS projects I work on in my
> spare time; I am simply offering this service to the gopher community
> as a token of my gratitude to those who keep the gopher protocol
> alive and well.

I love the idea of OpenNIC, but it doesn't seem very... stable.

# cat /etc/resolv.conf
search llalala
nameserver 66.244.95.20 #Brian's server
nameserver 217.79.186.148
lookup file bind

Just to show that it works:

# ping opennic.glue
PING opennic.glue (75.127.96.89): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 75.127.96.89: icmp_seq=0 ttl=52 time=161.372 ms
64 bytes from 75.127.96.89: icmp_seq=1 ttl=52 time=161.250 ms

But the Tier 2 Submission Form:

# ping reg.opennic.glue
ping: unknown host: reg.opennic.glue

And reg.for.free (I wanted a .geek name) gives me:
Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Lost connection to
MySQL server at 'reading authorization packet', system error: 0
in /var/www/clients/client5/web6/web/index.php on line 40
Could not establish connection

--
|- Cato Auestad
|- bleakgadfly