[gopher] Gophernicus 1.0 released

Kim Holviala kim at holviala.com
Sat Oct 9 11:10:41 UTC 2010

On 2010-10-09 08:35, Kim Holviala wrote:

>> made it work with a filter and files with .mbox names, it send a list
>> like this
>> 0[gopher] Re: ascii art<TAB>/MailingLists/gopher-2007-02.mbox?1<TAB>
>> fedtmule.home<TAB>70
>
> gopher://telefisk.org/1/mailarchives/gopher/
>
> Damn, that's a nice solution with beautiful urls. Didn't even think of
> that....

Just in case someone's wondering... Jacob's got a bunch of mbox files
which he wanted to share in splitted form without really splitting the
files.

What he did was redefine *.mbox as gopher type 1 menu (with a simple
command line argument), and then coded a filter called "mbox" which
splits the mbox files into separate messages in real-time. Or actually,
if there's no query parameter the filter spits out a menu listing all
the messages and if there is a query parameter it spits out a single
message.

Ingenious.

I remember someone on this list saying that real-time content
transcoding is "stupid" and "kills the server" and "cannot be done".

Hee hee...

- Kim