[gopher] Looking for a text-mode gopher client with certain features

Kim Holviala kim at holviala.com
Thu Oct 14 05:07:36 UTC 2010

On 2010-10-14 06:16, John Magolske wrote:

> Which is what's aptitude installed on my Debian system. I've also
> tried Lynx. Both of these seem to work ok, but there are a few
> features I'm not finding:
>
> * Have the cursor stop at bottom&  top when scrolling through links or
>    menus rather than jumping from the bottom to the top when scrolling
>    down and jumping from the top to the bottom when scrolling up.
>
> * Linewise scrolling -- when scrolling through a long page, the text
>    jumps a full screenful at a time. I'd like the capability to scroll
>    through pages a line at a time.
>
> * Tab completion of directories when defining a filepath to save a
>    file to, with an overwrite warning if the file already exists.
>
> Would anyone know if it's possible to configure either of these
> clients to behave as described? Or if there's another text-mode gopher
> client that might be worth looking into?

I'm going to try to make one soon... The server I've been coding is
pretty much feature-complete and I need a new project :-). BSD licence
and plentiful comments mean that it should be easy to extend.

(actually, my Supa Sekrut Projekt(tm) is to make a VERY different
touch-based gopher browser for mobile phones, but as that is a
complicated problem to solve I think I'm just going to do a standard
curses-based one first)

- Kim