[gopher] changes to support for OverbiteFF 2.x and 3.0

Kim Holviala kim at holviala.com
Thu Oct 28 08:13:44 UTC 2010

----- Original message -----
> I'm sorely tempted to pick up an unlocked N900. As soon as this iPhone
> 3GS either dies or Apple boots support, I'm switching to my Nexus One
> (with Overbite Android), but the N900 is just so pretty and I love the
> terminal access.

As a phone, this sucks. Probably the worst phone I've had in the last 10 years. Not that the iPhone is any better...

As a mobile web browser this is Teh Best. Nothing else compares to a wide screen display, full keyboard and full Firefox with Adobe Flash. iPhone is a cruel joke compared to N900 no matter what the apologists say.

As an applicatio platform.... well... there are no apps. As in NO APPS. And since Maemo is dead, there will be no apps. Ever.

But for a hacker having a phone that runs standard Debian, GTK2 and normal X11 is just too cool to pass. Running x11vnc on N900 exports the GUI nicely... ssh -X makes it possible to run remote apps. And so on. Need office? Install OOo. Need a wifi scanner? Kismet works. IPv6 works. Everything Just Works(tm). And everything including the bootloader is open - no jailbreaking is needed.

Quite simply this is the best toy I've ever had.

:-D

- Kim