[gopher] GopherVR graphics

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Fri Feb 4 20:20:17 UTC 2011

> lynx as my browser, and both of them are command-line apps.  The big
> problem is that, although vi and lynx actually mesh pretty well with
> the OS X, or (especially) the GNOME/KDE interface, Motif-based apps
> stick out like a sore thumb.  What I'm getting at is this: would it be
> possible to 'port' the GopherVR graphics to a more modern toolkit,
> such as GTK+ or Qt?

I'm sure it could be. I'm not a Qt or GTK+ programmer, though, so I'm the
wrong one to do it (I'm very comfortable with Motif [greybeard tendency
showing] personally). That said, the actual world shouldn't be too hard for
anyone who has some experience with OpenGL to replicate in a more current
based client.

> Another problem, but more easy to fix: I'm sure that everyone has
> noticed that browser-based Gopher compatibility has been disappearing.
> This makes it a hassle for those of us wanting to download GopherVR
> as their first Gopher client, because the only link to the GopherVR
> software is an unadorned Gopher link.  Would it be possible to add
> another link to the HTTP download page for GopherVR via the
> HTTP/Gopher proxy?

I'm merging both the webserver and the gopherserver into one big superhost
(the POWER6), so I'll do that after the migration.

-- This message will self-destruct in five seconds. Good luck, Jim. -- M:I ----