[gopher] Improving Gopher Searches

Robert Sayers rsayers at robsayers.com
Thu Feb 17 17:44:34 UTC 2011

I was working on this very project a while back.  I still have a test
instance running on gopher://gopher.robsayers.com

I'm using Ferret (ruby port of lucene) to do the indexing.  It has a
crawler and everything.  It's another one of those projects that got
80% done before I lost interest.

The index hasn't been updated in over a year, but I had my own site
and all of retro-net indexed.  I was working on floodgap but could
never get finished with it because of the crawler occasionally
freaking out.

The main goal was to have a google like search working where the full
text of documents was indexed as well.  The ranking is currently done
on keyword relevancy, but I have toyed with a simple pagerank
algorithm as well.

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 11:33 AM,  <simple at freeshell.org> wrote:
> Improving the "freshness" of the Veronica-2 / VISHNU database
> is probably the best way to ensure that recently added material
> is findable.  That got me wondering if perhaps what's needed
> is a local indexer that could be run at least daily, with the
> resulting data ball either left in the root directory for
> retrieval by, or sent in to, the Veronica-2 / VISHNU server(s).
> The idea is to reduce the amount of gopherspace that needs to
> be actively crawled by the Veronica-2 / VISHNU servers which,
> from Cameron's posts, appear to take a while and aren't very
> frequent.
>
> I'm not very knowledgeable on database management; is the above
> scheme feasible? If so, what should the data ball look like?
> A flat file seems like it'd be adequate and leaves the "how" up
> to individual server operators.
>
> Jeff W.

Rob Sayers
www.robsayers.com