[gopher] Improving Gopher Searches

Jeff W simple at freeshell.org
Tue Feb 15 18:00:30 UTC 2011

Improving the "freshness" of the Veronica-2 / VISHNU database
is probably the best way to ensure that recently added material
is findable.  That got me wondering if perhaps what's needed
is a local indexer that could be run at least daily, with the
resulting data ball either left in the root directory for
retrieval by, or sent in to, the Veronica-2 / VISHNU server(s).
The idea is to reduce the amount of gopherspace that needs to
be actively crawled by the Veronica-2 / VISHNU servers which,
from Cameron's posts, appear to take a while and aren't very
frequent.

I'm not very knowledgeable on database management; is the above
scheme feasible? If so, what should the data ball look like?
A flat file seems like it'd be adequate and leaves the "how" up
to individual server operators.

Jeff W.

PS  Why is this list so hard to post to?  This is my 8th attempt;
Don't have this problem with any other list I'm subscribed to.