[gopher] (no subject)

Brian Koontz brian at pongonova.net
Tue May 17 01:02:04 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 07:22:24PM -0700, Bradley D. Thornton wrote:
> In the future, I intend to simply categorically block all HTTP to Gopher
> proxies, not to be mean, but to encourage the use of either gopher
> clients, or gopher capable clients.

Why does it matter to you how gopher content is served up?   Given the
content you host, most http->gopher gateways would be sufficiently
awkward to use that users "in the know" will just reach for their
favorite gopher client.

I'm sure people are drawn to gopher for differnet reasons.  For me,
it's the simplicity of the protocol, and a bit of nostalgia to boot.
But to try and compartmentalize gopher access by putting your nose up
and saying access to your site via an http proxy is just not
acceptable strikes me as rather elitist.

Based on the stats of my proxy, there's not a big groundswell of folks
clamoring to access gopher via http.  My IP logs do show a few
regulars that frequent the proxy (no, not bots).  I don't think my
dedicated userbase is hammering anyone's gopher server into oblivion,
so I'll continue to run it and improve upon it.

> I know I've ranted a couple of times in chan #gopherproject about this a
> few times, but Cameron, you're not there, so this may be the first time
> you've heard it from me ;)

Ah, my cue for the semi-annual reminder to everyone that there is, in
fact, a gopher IRC channel on Freenode, and you should join us on
#gopherproject because we're tired of idling.

  --Brian

--
Don't have gopher?  Visit the world's first wiki-based gopher proxy!
http://www.pongonova.org/gopherwiki