[gopher] Gopher Live Stream Demonstration

Wolfgang Faust wolfgangmcq at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 00:56:49 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 8:50 PM, Iain R. Learmonth <irl at sdf.org> wrote:

>> > Tested in OmniWeb, it seems it just keeps eating the data and never renders it.
>> How long did you run OmniWeb for?
>
> About 5 minutes. I left it running while I was trying it in lynx.
Darn. I guess that's at least one client that doesn't work then.

>> I'm guessing Firefox would probably handle MJPG pretty well. I've got
>> a reference MJPG generator written, I just need to hook it into
>> Gopher. I think I'll do that tonight.
>>

> The problem I think is that MJPEG relies on MIME being understood to detect boundaries in the stream. AFAIK, there's no way to communicate a MIME type through Gopher. Loading the data into a stream is easy. The trick is going to be doing it in a way that makes sense for Gopher.
I was under the impression that the 'm' mime-type was used for
MIME-encoded files, but it seems that it's MBOX files instead. Drat.

>> > I might look into setting something up on gopher://aucs.co/1/ at some point this week. I have no idea how I would go about a client, but I'll set up a server with one of the feeds I run at http://www.room205.org/live.php.
>> I'd like to see that. Just a guess: you could just wget to dump the
>> feed out to Gopher.
>
> I think the first experiment will consist of an HTML page with a still and a meta refresh tag. That's nice and simple and makes sure I've got something happening that I can say works.
That sounds like it might work, though the refresh would be really
slow and you'd have a lot of TCP overhead reconnecting for each frame.

> Gopher has an item type for GIF. I wonder if GIFs can be streamed. That would work maybe.
GIFs can be animated, though you might run into some trouble if the
number of frames is defined in the header.

> As a side, sorry if you went to check out the webcam on that page and were disappointed. It's 2am here so there's nothing to see but a dark empty room.
I guessed as much. There's a little bit of "motion" from the camera
seeing artifacts. Why are you up at 2AM anyhow?

> --
> Iain R. Learmonth <irl at sdf.org>

--
01010111 01101111 01101100 01100110