[gopher] WWW to Gopher proxy

Kim Holviala kim at holviala.com
Tue Jun 19 09:46:43 UTC 2012

It had to be done... Too long we've been watching the ongoing march of
Gopher to WWW proxies and the damage they do to the world we're living in.

(no, I *don't* live in a basement, that's not the world I'm referring)

(really)

(I don't)

(honest)

Aaaaanyway. Since it's sooo easy for those newfangled www hipsters to
browse our sacred gopher land, it's time for us old beards to browse
*their* Web six.dot.whatever using the only protocol that makes sense in
this crazy modern world.

Ummm... kinda lost the plot here... what was I talking about?

Oh yeah, gopher. Gopher. I think I was talking about Gopher? Right? Right?

So, preseting: I can haz interwebz in gopherz!

Just open up gopher://gophernicus.org and choose the menu entry for the
www to gopher proxy. Enter any URL (type it right - it's picky) and
watch in awe.

Here are a few examples:

gopher://gophernicus.org/1/www/?www.floodgap.com
gopher://gophernicus.org/1/www/?www.google.co.uk

Aaaand. This.

gopher://gophernicus.org/1/www/?http://gopherproxy.meulie.net/gopher.floodgap.com/

It's Floodgaps gopher site converted to www and back to gopher. It still
works...

I *so* rule!

- Kim

PS. If it doesn't work for a particular URL, it's probably because it's
denying HTTP 304 redirects... Fiddle a bit with the url and it'll start
working.