[gopher] Draft RFC

Nick Matavka n.theodore.matavka.files at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 19:05:10 UTC 2012

On 21 June 2012 14:06, Alistair <alistair at alistairsserver.no-ip.org> wrote:
> On 21/06/2012 18:36, Nick Matavka wrote:
>>
>> Except URL: strings are "de facto" gopher.
>>
>> As for HTML, nobody says Gopher clients need to support HTML.
>> However, if a client does not support URL: and ALSO lacks support for
>> HTML, I'm not sure how to "fake" support for URL:.  With HTML support,
>> you can easily "fake" it, but without... well, I don't know.
>>

> Being able to render HTML and understanding http are two different things
> though... If a gopher server serves up a url string with http as the
> protocol that's just a signal for a gopher client to ignore it as it can't
> follow the link :)

Yes BUT URL: support is part of Gopher2.0.

In the IDEAL scenario ("compliant"):
Gopher2.0 client talks http and understands URL: When URL: link is
launched, Gopher2.0 client follows URL: link and displays Web page.
Gopher2.0 client does not talk http or understand html but does
understand URL:.  When URL: link is launched, Gopher2.0 client fires
up Chrome/Firefox, and Chrome/Firefox follows link.
Gopher2.0 client understands html and URL:, but doesn't talk http.  See above.

In the LESS-IDEAL scenario ("compliant with workaround"):
Gopher1.0 client does not understand URL:, but understands html.  When
client launches Chrome/Firefox to deal with it.

(The above client is non-compliant with the URL: scheme, but *is*
compliant with the workaround/"fake").

In the WORST-CASE scenario ("non-compliant"):
Gopher1.0 client does not understand URL:, nor does it understand what
to do with HTML or how to launch a Web browser.  In that case, as you
said, Alistair, the gopher client will ignore it.  HOWEVER, the
Gopher1.0 client is non-compliant with the standard.

Gopher1.5 server does not know the HTML workaround.  Gopher1.0 client
happens upon the URL: and doesn't know what to do with it.  HTML
workaround is not sent, and Gopher1.0 client can't follow the link.

-----

Based on the standard, Alistair, Gopher clients must either:

1) Be able to follow the link directly
2) Be able to follow the workaround redirect page
or 3) Be able to launch a browser to follow the workaround redirect page.

If they can't do any of those, they are not compliant with the RFC.

--
       /^\/^\
       \----|
   _---'---~~~~-_