[gopher] New Gopher RFC

Stephen Michael Kellat skellat at fastmail.net
Fri Jun 29 21:45:16 UTC 2012

On 06/29/2012 07:16 AM, Iain R. Learmonth wrote:
> gopher-project,
>
> I've been following the list archives of this list, and seen that there is interest in drafting a new RFC for the Gopher protocol.
>
> At present, this seems to be being rushed and there seems to be a lot in the draft I read that's caused a lot of controversy.
>
> As long as there is interest, and this is something I'd be willing to put time into, I believe the best course of action would be to form a WG under IETF. For those unfamiliar with the process, I refer you to RFC2418.
>
> Has anyone contacted the Apps Team at IETF yet?
>
> Iain Learmonth
> Electronics Research Group
> University of Aberdeen

I'm reading through the RFC right now and note that it is available
here: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2418

Would it be worthwhile to consider scheduling a face-to-face informal
meeting of list participants near some convenient airport perhaps in
August or around then?  A quick skimming of the RFC talks about needing
a minimum of around 5-10 people or so to sit within the formal IETF
process as a working group.  There are other requirements as well.

McCarran airport in Las Vegas (LAS) usually has cheap rates though other
locations would be doable.  If everybody wanted to converge on Ohio
Linux Fest in September the code for the airport local to that event is
CMH.

The airport closest to me driving-wise is ERI otherwise known as Tom
Ridge Field/Erie International Airport.  It would be relatively easy for
me to arrange meeting space nearby in Conneaut to host such. There would
still be some nice tourist attractions like Ohio wine country and The
Strip at Geneva On The Lake to enjoy with that avenue.

Stephen Michael Kellat
Head Writer
Erie Looking Productions
http://erielookingproductions.info