[gopher] What's my IP address in gopher!

Bradley D. Thornton Bradley at NorthTech.US
Sun May 6 21:03:34 UTC 2012

On 05/06/2012 07:41 AM, Dennis Schulmeister wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sat, 5 May 2012 12:07:12 +0000 (UTC)
> Denis Bernard <denis.bernard at laposte.net> wrote:
>
>> Do not miss the opportunity to reach the small devices computers
>> area by avoiding this “i” item-type!
>
> Now for one moment, let's get real. Gopher has been obsolete even
> before this list was created.

Relevance is relative. Gopher protocol is not obsolete, it's merely
morphed into a more contemporary nature and usefulness in recent years
and used in a slightly different context as the original maintenance and
direction in it's relative usefulness and applicability changed.

Even then it has been and it will ever be
> an obsolete thing from the past tinkered with by enthusiasts, people
> who run old gear just for the fun of it.

Completely wrong again. I use 'production' gopher services all the time
- - services that don't take advantage of HTTP, or have resources that are
served by paralleled HTTP services.

With the sort of backward, hillbilly mindset you espouse, there is
indeed a valid point to be made... "That there's no point in having any
DNS zones served aside from .arpa and .com because no American consumer
understands what the heck .info or .biz or .de or.uk means anyway, and
so it is therefore pointless to incorporate or use those obsolete
aspects of DNS and TLDs."

You're pontificating rant about relevance and obsolescence from your
own, narrow, personal perspective is ridiculous and foolish. People will
continue to use the tools that are relevant to accomplishing the tasks
at hand, regardless of your lack of intelligent input and useless
negativity.

Gopher protocol and the related collection of contemporary software that
supports it is but one of those toolsets that is enjoying such relevant
incorporation in production operations.

Regards,

- --
Bradley D. Thornton