[gopher] Why do you use gopher?

Alistair alistair at alistairsserver.no-ip.org
Mon May 7 20:26:09 UTC 2012

On 07/05/2012 21:08, Dennis Schulmeister wrote:
> How do you use gopher and why?

My motivation for using gopher is the simplicity of the protocol and
parsing it etc with underpowered (by modern standards) computers.

I collect and mess about with old Sinclair Spectrum computers (zilog Z80
microcomputers) and a guy's designed an ethernet board with hardware TCP
stack for it. Gopher is ideal for it because there's not much ram so
parsing even small html pages just runs out of memory really quickly.

Alistair.