[gopher] Updated Gopher RFC

Damien Carol damien.carol at gmail.com
Tue May 8 16:22:10 UTC 2012

It's my proposal : to have generic types :

  *Old one*

*My Proposal*

*Name*

*Description*

1

1

MENU

Menu

0

0

TEXT

Small text file, render directly in browser in easy way

3

3

ERROR

Tell client that result is KO

7

7

INDEX / PROGRAMS

You now it

9

9

BINARY

Binary, generic one

5

5

ARCHIVE

Binary but check it as ARCHIVE (zip, rar, etc…)

g, P, I

Image File

Binary but check it as IMAGE (JPG, GIF, BMP, etc…)

;

Video File

Binary but check it as VIDEO (AVI, MKV, etc….)

Audio File

Binary but check it as AUDIO (WAV, mp3, etc…)

Document Text File

Binary but check it as TEXT (Plain, Word, ODF, etc…)

EXTERNAL URL

Check the selector for "URL:"

2012/5/8 Nuno J. Silva <nunojsilva at ist.utl.pt>

> On 2012-05-08, Alistair wrote:
>
> > On 08/05/2012 17:01, zack mayson wrote:
> >> Gopher is generally designed to be a low overhead protocol; plus, it
> >> would introduce incompatibilities in clients running on old computers
> >> (i.e. Zilogs, Sinclairs) and specifying what kind of data/files/content
> >> X is neans a lot less work for client Y.
> >>

> > Trouble is there's a gazillion kinds of file and soon you end up with
> > a huge mess like mimetypes.
>
> The good thing about mimetypes is that they're easier to expand without
> breaking compatibility (although, given enough time, one can always
> break anything).
>
> > As ling as a client or whatever knows what it /can/ handle it can just
> > ignore anything it doesn't recognise.
>
> The key is to grow a set of itemtypes such that clients can readily
> ignore everything else and just focus on what they can handle.
>

> --
> Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg)
> gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg
> http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/