[gopher] Updated Gopher RFC

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Tue May 8 19:57:45 UTC 2012

> > Trouble is there's a gazillion kinds of file and soon you end up with a
> > huge mess like mimetypes.
>
> Why do you think mime types are a mess? IMHO it's the only way to
> reliably tell the file type without analyzing the file itself. With one
> letter item types you won't get very far. Especially if you're
> restricted to 7-bit ascii or even any 8-bit encoding.
>
> I wonder what would happen if we added a m item type (as in mime-type)
> which has an additional TAB mime-type added at the end of the line. How
> many clients would break?

I actually proposed exactly this some time ago and it was unpopular for
some reason. Perhaps Nuno or John G remembers.

The only catch here is Gopher+ clients. If they object to *anything* being
there but a +, then we have a problem. If UMN digests it fine, I think we
could call that "standard."

But I would fully back an idea like this.