[gopher] Updated Gopher RFC

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Tue May 8 20:03:00 UTC 2012

> Gaack! This discussion is precisely why we need an updated standard. The
> mess of itemtypes, in particular, is rather awful. I'll take a look at the
> docs on Kim's server at some point. In the meantime, is there a definitive
> standard for the period that terminates some connections?

No. As far as I'm concerned, I agree with Kim: the dot should be done away
with and end of connection equals end of data. That's what most new servers
are doing, and it makes more sense in today's much more reliable network
environment.

Overbite will still have to deal with old "dotted" servers, but that's the
client's burden.

> Also: what exactly is a CSO phonebook server? Are any used anymore, and are
> there any clients that support them? And how are redundant servers supposed
> to be handled? The RFC isn't very clear on that point, as I recall.

CSO is the same as ph. There still are some, and OverbiteFF at least still
supports simple queries.

-- If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't I be happier? -----------------------------