[gopher] Updated Gopher RFC

Wesley Teal wesleyteal at gmail.com
Wed May 9 16:37:07 UTC 2012

On 5/9/12, Nuno J. Silva <nunojsilva at ist.utl.pt> wrote:
> What if a revised RFC
>
> - Keeps the initial items, along with the few more that were widely
>   adopted for specific formats (e.g. pdf and png)
> - Add new purpose-based item types (image, movie, document, ...) to be
>   used with a new mime-type field

I like this.

On 5/9/12, Wolfgang Faust <wolfgangmcq at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have to say that when I suggested updating the RFC I wasn't suggesting we
> *change* anything--I was merely suggesting that we put everything together
> in one place.

Agreed. That's what I thought too. Whenever changes get suggested they
start a major debate (just browse back through the list archives), but
some things such as URLs and a few item types have become standard or
semi-standard and it would be nice having to figure out where or if
modern practices are documented. I think a small, minimal revision
that primarily takes into accounts changes that already exist will be
easier to accomplish than trying to introduce any major changes.

> However, the period is a consistent source of confusion and debate. I would
> suggest the following solution:
> * Servers *may* send the period; clients *must* accept it
> * Servers *should* send the period after menus, but may choose whether they
> want to send it after other files
> * Clients should display the period at the end of menus, if sent, to notify
> the user that this is the end of the menu
> * Clients should not include the period in other output, in case that
> output has some significance which the period may disrupt.
> * Clients should only consider a period as significant if it occurs
> immediately before the connection is terminated.
>
> Does this make sense? Any suggestions?

Seems alright to me.