[gopher] Support for MIME type

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Thu May 17 13:24:53 UTC 2012

> Hello everybody !
>
> I read the RFC of gopher 1.0 protocol and I can say that MIME is already
> possible.
>
> Read that :
> 1) MIME file is '0' type item
> 2) all clients are compatible they can get '0' type files
>
> The file get is something like that :

> This is a message with multiple parts in MIME format.
> --frontier
>
> This is the body of the message.
> --frontier
>
> PGh0bWw+CiAgPGhlYWQ+CiAgPC9oZWFkPgogIDxib2R5PgogICAgPHA+VGhpcyBpcyB0aGUg
> Ym9keSBvZiB0aGUgbWVzc2FnZS48L3A+CiAgPC9ib2R5Pgo8L2h0bWw+Cg=
> --frontier--*

I would be willing to back this *iff* we stuck with the concept of one
selector, one file, and the only headers would be MIME-Version, Content-Type
and Content-Transfer-Encoding, with the encoding being base64. A MIME
gopher client would skip the text/plain component and load the base64
segment.

Still, though, I'm thinking a separate MIME type would be better since all
current clients just dump out type 0 without further interpretation. 'M'
has been suggested.

-- Aibohphobia, the fear of palindromes. -- Brian Braunschweiger --------------