[gopher] Gopher RFC propositions

Damien Carol damien.carol at gmail.com
Fri May 18 14:06:11 UTC 2012

Bradley said right.

The RFC 1436 define a grammar for '0' type transactions.

In this grammar you can see that all data given by the server must be
US-ASCII (without <CR><LF>)

Data given for Menu '1' items are the same.

In fact, RFC stay close to US-ASCII. There no UTF-8 or Latin-1 in gopher
1.0 RFC.

2012/5/18 Kim Holviala <kim at holviala.com>

> On Fri, 18 May 2012, 13:54:29 EEST, Bradley D. Thornton
> <Bradley at NorthTech.US> wrote:
>
> > > * what do about teh US-ASCII vs. Latin-1 vs. UTF-8 issue?
> >
> > I found this here:
> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/url.7.html#gopher
> >
> > selector is the Gopher selector string.   In the Gopher protocol, Gopher
> > selector strings are a sequence of octets which may contain any octets
> > except 09 hexadecimal (US-ASCII HT or tab), 0A hexadecimal (US-ASCII
> > character LF), and 0D (US-ASCII character CR).
>
> The selector is not a human-readable string, nor something that usually
> has to be typed. Hence - no one really cares.
>
> What I was talking about was content - browser-visible strings in menus
> and the actual content type 0 docs.
>
> - Kim

Damien CAROL
gopher://dams.zapto.org/1/