[gopher] Soo sad today...

Kim Holviala kim at holviala.com
Sun May 20 14:24:57 UTC 2012

On May 20, 2012, at 17:03 , Cameron Kaiser wrote:

>> Get real. A "toy" NAS box is small and quiet while your Proliant is
>> humangous, sucks power like there's no tomorrow and is freaking noisy.
>
> My backup file server is connected to a LaCie RAID 5 with a hot spare over
> FW800 (it's an old Sawtooth Power Mac). But it's just the backup, so if it
> dies, I can rebuild it (with a lot of muttering).

I do offsite backups - my server is "in teh cloud" (at work) and gets backed up at home to NAS, and my home NAS gets backed up to "teh cloud" (well, the same saver at work).

I've done total restores a couple of times over the last 10 or so years and so far I've not lost anyhing (well, half a days mails, but that's ok).

- Kim