[gopher] .gopher domains available on OpenNIC

Brian Koontz brian at pongonova.net
Sun Sep 23 19:38:01 UTC 2012

Help out the OpenNIC project (and gain some exposure to your
gopherhole) by registering a .gopher domain at register.gopher.
OpenNIC is a free, open, democratic alternative to ICANN that has been
in existence for over 10 years.  I'm one of the co-founders of the
"resurrected" OpenNIC project, and also run the .gopher registry, so
I'd be glad to answer any question or offer any help I can.  And if
you do register a domain, please drop me a note.

You'll need to be able to resolve OpenNIC TLDs to access
register.gopher.  (All of OpenNIC's servers resolve both OpenNIC and
ICANN TLDs.)  Feel free to use my nameserver:

66.244.95.20

(No logs are kept.  Can't say that for 8.8.8.8...rest assured Google
runs 8.8.8.8 for their own benefit, not yours.)

There are some tips on how to configure DNS on various systems at
http://opennicproject.org.

Thanks for helping out another public service project with roots almost
as deep as gopher!

  --Brian