[gopher] free gopher surfing at Telenet; maybe also others?

Jacob Dahl Pind rachael at telefisk.org
Wed Apr 17 12:53:00 UTC 2013

On Thu, 4 Apr 2013, Walter Vermeir wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here in Belgium there are two major Telecom company?s. On of them is Telenet. Customers who have internet service form them
> have also access to many wifihotspots.
>
> That are unprotected networks. But when you request a website you are redirected to a page where you need to login so you
> can browse the web.
>
> But I have noticed if you do not login you can not browse the www, but gopher, that works!
>
> Maybe there are also other wifi service providers who have not bothered to block gopher in your country ?

Yes 3 here in denmark had a bit of the same going, they had a captive
portal system for their 3g net, so if you didnt have any credits left it
would redirect you to their site where you could fill it up with a credtit
card, but only port 80 access, ssh to your own server worked fine for free
net, later on they caught up a bit made it so if would drop the tcp
connection after some 400kb or so, but you could easly browser gopherspace
still.

--
Jacob Dahl Pind | telefisk.org | fidonet 2:230/38.8