[gopher] gopher proxies

Brian Koontz brian at pongonova.net
Wed Jul 24 18:20:16 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 01:56:38PM -0400, Wolfgang Faust wrote:
> I'm not really sure where I stand on the topic, though if I were writing a
> proxy I would *probably* configure it to prevent crawling.

I'm ambivalent too...OTOH I don't necessarily see the value of hosting
gopher content in HTTP land.  However, it does add exposure to what we
are doing.  I've thought about some way to just allow one level of
indexing, forcing those who are truly interested to invest some time
into firing up Overbite or whatever.

On a similar topic:  What might be the value of a policy that excludes
all HTTP-space spidering, instead opting for a single HTTP
"storefront" of gopher sites like http://www.telnetbbsguide.com/?

  --Brian

--
Don't have gopher?  Visit the world's first wiki-based gopher proxy!
http://www.pongonova.org/gopherwiki