[gopher] Joining in: I'm the maintainer/host of Gopher Proxy

Evert Meulie evert at meulie.net
Fri Sep 13 08:50:32 UTC 2013

On 13.09.2013 10:33, Kim Holviala wrote:
> On Sep 12, 2013, at 16:18, Evert Meulie <evert at meulie.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> http://gopherproxy.org/ & http://gopherproxy.meulie.net/ allows Gopher content to be viewed in any web browser, by converting Gopher content into web pages as you request it.
>>
>> And yes, currently there is little/no means in place to keep bots & search engines out.
>> I've been reading a bit what has been written here in other threads on this subject, and will chime in with my 2¢ soon.
>
> Personally I don't mind that Google and others crawl through my gopher resources, but I think quite a lot of people here object to that. I think the easiest way would be to just have a robots.txt to completely block all spidering.
>
> Anyway - great work - I really like the way gopherproxy.org works.
>

> - Kim

Hmm, blocking all spidering will keep search engines from indexing
Gopher-servers, some of which contain a treasure of documents from times
gone by.

How about I only let Google in? (Does anyone use any other search engine
anyway?)

All credit goes to Stephen Morley. I merely took over his creation after
he decided to discontinue hosting.

But thanks anyway  ;-)

Greetings,
    Evert