[gopher] Joining in: I'm the maintainer/host of Gopher Proxy

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Fri Sep 13 13:47:46 UTC 2013

> In principle, I have nothing but accolades for what you are doing. It's
> just that I don't think it's the right way to get people to use gopher
> resources, and further, only serves for further marginalize the
> protocol, and has contributed in a big way to support for the protocol
> to be dropped from browsers (Firefox just last year I think?).
>
> The main point however, is that I'm opposed to using a file called
> 'robots.txt' on a gopher server. I'm not particular as to what that file
> should be called other than that, however - perhaps, arachnid.txt would
> suffice - but certainly, unequivocally, something that is specific to
> gopher - *not* HTTP.

I think Evert is proposing this for the *web* side of the proxy to retard
indexing.

That said, Veronica-2 already uses a robots.txt file so gopherholes can tell
it to keep out of certain selectors, so this has precedent.

-- Not sun-worshippers: Son-worshippers! -- Uhura, Star Trek "Bread & Circuses"