[gopher] Gopher for Android?

Nuno Silva nunojsilva at ist.utl.pt
Sun Sep 15 19:55:36 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 07:40:05AM -0700, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
> > > And this is likely a stupid question that was answered several times,
> > > but what gopher clients are there for android?
> >
> > I know of only one: Overbite http://gopher.floodgap.com/overbite/
> > Sadly it seems development stopped 3 years ago at v0.2, but still - it
> > works.
>
> I just haven't gotten around to writing more for it. I do have a bug with
> Android 4.0+ that I need to fix and I'm pretty sure what the cause is.

This is a *very* late reply, but I finally installed Overbite on my
phone (Android 4.1), seems to be working.

As I don't have an android development toolchain installed, I can't
really play with the code right now, but a couple things I am curious
about:

- How are you dealing with the encoding? It seems to be expecting
  iso8859-encoded text (or something other than utf8). Maybe this is
  hard to change?

- Are you planning any feature to change the interface colors? Or am I
  just missing some android setting that lets me pick something other
  than black text on a white background?

--
Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
Radiotieteen ja -tekniikan laitos