[gopher] Gopher for Android?

Mateusz Viste mateusz at viste-family.net
Sun Sep 15 20:20:25 UTC 2013

Hi

Just my thoughts about Overbite - i'm quite pleased with it, and use it from time to time on my android phone. Never noticed any crahes. There are 3 things that I miss:
 - a 'night mode' (or at least customizable color scheme)
 - bookmarks
 - ability to download binary files

Other than that, overbite is doing really well for me. :)

Mateusz

Cameron Kaiser <spectre at floodgap.com> wrote:
>times,

>- it
>> >
>> > I just haven't gotten around to writing more for it. I do have a
>bug with
>> > Android 4.0+ that I need to fix and I'm pretty sure what the cause
>is.
>>
>> This is a *very* late reply, but I finally installed Overbite on my
>> phone (Android 4.1), seems to be working.
>
>No, it works mostly fine. It has an intermittent crash bug which seems
>to be
>related to a change in how the progress bar is implemented. However,
>upgrading the Android SDK on my Mac seems to have busted my build and
>I'm
>trying to untangle that.
>
>> As I don't have an android development toolchain installed, I can't
>> really play with the code right now, but a couple things I am curious
>> about:
>>
>> - How are you dealing with the encoding? It seems to be expecting
>>   iso8859-encoded text (or something other than utf8). Maybe this is
>>   hard to change?
>
>It uses an internal webview, ironically, and converts everything to
>basic HTML. There's probably a way to alter it, but I haven't done so.
>
>> - Are you planning any feature to change the interface colors? Or am
>>   just missing some android setting that lets me pick something other
>>   than black text on a white background?
>
>I wasn't planning to do this, but I'm open to suggestions about
>improving
>the interface. One simple way is just to have the generated HTML set
>the
>colours off a palette.

Mateusz
--